We’re into the final week before the election, and forecasts abound still. From May2015’s website, most put the Tories ahead, but not by enough to form a majority. May2015 calculate an average of six forecasts and find the Tories 12 seats up on Labour:
— May2015 Election (@May2015NS) May 1, 2015
A range of bookmakers have been pricing up individual constituencies for some time now, providing an alternative source of information on constituencies to the hugely illuminating Ashcroft polls.
But what do such individual betting markets imply for the national picture? These bookmakers do naturally have overall outcome markets, but to what extent are their individual constituency markets consistent with the overall national picture?
I decided to take the bookmakers seriously with the pricing at constituency level. Each set of odds implies probabilities surrounding outcomes in that seat. However, calculating probabilities for 650 seats to get probabilities of outcomes is a fearsome task. Instead I’ve simulated outcomes: based on the implied probabilities of outcomes in seats, I’ve generated 100 election outcomes for each bookmaker’s set of odds for constituencies (taking any constituency that bookmaker doesn’t have a market for as a certain hold for the incumbent party). The resulting set of outcomes can be thought of as the election occurring according to bookmaker X – what outcome is most likely, what outcome less likely?
What’s the result of this? Considerable disagreement between bookmakers!
This plot shows what the 18 bookmakers (or betting exchanges, including Betfair) imply for the seat totals of Labour and the Conservatives. Betfair’s exchange is the most conservative, only implying LAB 230 and CON 233, while Betway’s prices suggest that CON will get 300 seats to LAB’s 267. Bet Victor, Stan James, 888sport, Betway, Unibet, and 32Red are the bookmakers whose prices imply CON will win 30-50 more seats than Labour; all remaining bookmakers have the two parties roughly neck and neck.
An interesting aside from this is that as we generate distributions of outcomes according to each bookmaker, we can ask more interesting questions such as: how likely is it that Labour wins most seats? How likely is it the Conservatives get enough for a majority outright? For Betfair’s exchange, there’s a 37% chance Labour wins most seats, a 4% chance they win the same number, and a 59% chance that CON wins most seats. Betfair sees no possibility of either party winning a majority. Conversely, Betway’s prices entertain no possibility of Labour being the biggest party.