Cheer up, my academic colleagues! We’re so lucky to do this job

Published on the 8th January in the Guardian, an anonymous academic (a senior lecturer in biomedical sciences in London) discusses the things they love about being an academic:

‘As a tribe, we academics enjoy complaining. There’s too much teaching, too many committees, not enough funding. The reviewers are too mean, the houses too expensive, the wages too low. But I would like to stick my head above the parapet (anonymously) and propose a new idea for 2016: let’s celebrate academia for a change. We need to remember that this profession is fun. We need to rekindle the fires that got us here in the first place. Yes, there are some rubbish bits. But when I take a break from complaining and reflect, there are lots of things that make me happy – and should make you happy too………………………………’  Read the full article to see all 9 reasons.

Don’t worry, be happy – there may be difficulties, but academia is still worth celebrating. Photograph: Alamy