Some like it hot?

Today’s blog has to be all about the building heat…and boy, is it building!! Temperatures predicted to be 32 degrees on site – and although the deep blue swirl of the sky was stunningly beautiful, the humidity was quite high and the dust sat upon us all like body stockings. I was forbidden to talk – and in fact could only whisper and squeak…..so I was reduced to asking Jon to make megapahone announcements for me as I exhorted everyone to drink water, and more water, wear a hat, apply sunscreen…

003

Our transatlantic trio sheltering beneath the walkway: left to right – Jordyn, Caitlin and Steffi

004

Communal sun tan cream application!

I lengthened the lunch break – mad dogs and English men and all that – and in the afternoon Dan went out and purchased 130 ice lollies….

007

It’s all about the hats….left to right: Martin, Steve, Andrew and Douglas

And we all kept our cool in whichever way we could!

005

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil…left to right: John Heff, John Brown and Steve (again!)

006

Finds washers are cool – Brita on the left, and Lesley

In the afternoon we were visited by 40 Department of Archaeology, University of Reading alumni – all years were covered from the very beginning of Archaeology at Reading, from the early 1970’s to the present day. Mike did a talk about the archaeology,and as I was forbidden to speak, Hella was me, and talked about the Field School. I think they had a great time, teasing their former lecturers (Mike, Bob, Richard, Grenville) and the whole event was very affectionate, with many laughs.

008

Mike greets the Reading alumni

Work on site continued apace, although the heat did lead to very necessary breaks.

009

The Well team rests its tools

But we did carry on digging!

010

Site views through a heat haze…..

011

Work on the roads

And look what landed outside my HQ office, brightening my day immeasurably! Thank you Sue!

012

A splash of colour

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.