On site today:
1. 160 of us
2. Professor Martin Bell from Reading’s Department of Archaeology giving talks on Experimental Archaeology
3. Dr. Jennifer Foster giving talks on Metalworking
4. Professor John Allen taking students around the Roman wall
5. Photographers Johan and Renee, taking pictures ‘behind the scenes on an excavation’…
6. Dr. Jane Timby our pottery specialist come to spot date some of our archaeological features
7. Many visitors! Including Chris Ball’s West Hanney History Group and Prof Grenville Astill from our Department of Archaeology, coming to see how we are are getting on…..Dr. Emma Durham too, catching up with us all
Wandering the site, what do I see? The beautiful hearth appearing in Nick’s early Roman building:
Felicia taking a break from supervising and giving talks to students on how to identify and recognise neonates (newborn infants) in the archaeological record.
Despite the great heat….34 degrees! – everyone is hard at work and focused #proudofmy Silchesterteam
Would you trust a man with GEEK on his t-shirt?
2 diet cokes down – and I am meant to be giving them up!But the heat has swirled around us and nipped at our heels all day. We end the site day with Mike’s site tour……we may be tired,hot and hungry…..but not too tired, hot and hungry to miss out on this!
Tonight is our Staff Party! Every season Nick and Biddy West offer us their hospitality down at Old Manor House…this includes access to their swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna -and this event is the stuff of legend. Each year a new set of Silchester staff is treated to this delight…..they arrive uncertain of what lies ahead – and leave hours later replete, chlorine-drenched and dehydrated…..but also happy….
This year Mike and I arrive early for a quiet swim before 50 of my staff arrive….the pool is 82 degrees! And it is quiet and peaceful. Nick and Biddy have laid out tables by the pool….expectant tables……
An hour later, a glass or 2 of Prosecco later, and we are treated to a feast…..pate to start, roast ham to follow and then a cheese board with jelly babies and coffee. Nick and Biddy we salute you!
Smile for the camera everyone!
I left the party at midnight – and it was just getting going! But a Site Director’s job is never done…time to go home, get a good sleep, have a quiet day off….ready for Open Day on Saturday! See you all then!