Whirlwind Wednesday

Why is it some days on site are busier than others?I only have 2 visits booked in, and my afternoon is nearly clear…..but from the moment of arrival I have bounced from person to person, trampoline style. Sometimes I play a little game – can I walk from HQ to Visitors without anyone stopping me? The answer is actually no…..but it is quite fun to try…..I put a downcast purposeful expression on my face, maybe carry a folder of paper, and adopt a brisk walk…It never works!

The weather was with us today – the forecast had suggested downpours – but in fact the rain swirled around us and we escaped a drenching. Dr. Hella Eckardt was out with us all day giving her treasure talks – focusing on the miniature brooch found in the foundations of our Iron Age hall, and the intaglio pulled out of the Victorian backfill in Insula III.

FSF253

Small Find 253

SF253 – this is a very beautiful Intaglio, carved from Carnelian, a semi-precious gemstone.The stone is set in the remains of an iron ring, and appears to depict a God or Satyr standing in front of a domed shrine. The image has been built up from a series of etched lines cut into the surface of the polished gemstone. This is most likely 1st Century AD in date.

FSF7518

Small Find 7518

SF7518 – a miniature Nauheim Derivative Brooch – an exceptionally small brooch, made from a single piece of copper alloy. This example is almost too small to be used functionally, and is most likely a votive offering, made specifically to be deposited within the ground. Miniature objects were often placed within pits, wells and temples as gifts to the gods, and examples of miniature weapons, lamps, brooches and day to day objects are known.

I gave a talk in the morning to a group of enthusiasts and it is interesting how the balance of my talks has now shifted – as Insula IX winds slowly down, the excitement of Insula III builds.

My best side – thanks Martin!

Mark Houshold sent me his 2 overhead kite photographs of Insula III – he will return at the end of the dig – we are especially keen to get an overhead photograph showing both our trenches in context within the Roman town.

Ps AGI Sichester

Insula III

Clearly visible are the late Roman gravel filled foundation trenches, as we battle with identifying the Victorian ‘holes’ (cannot really call them trenches!).

And, let’s close this post with our team photograph taken looking down to Insula III – thanks to Kevin for his wonderful photography!

KSP_5955

Silchester Team: Week 4

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.