It’s Security Awareness Week from Monday 15 October to Friday 19 October. It’s your chance to pick up some handy hints and tips as well as some freebies!
Most of the events will be taking place in the foyer of the Palmer Building, and you can drop-in at any point during the week. On Wednesday the event will be going on the road and you’ll be able to find them in the Park Group Lounge.
Events will include:
- Tuesday is the ‘999 Emergency Day’ with the local Fire brigade, Police and Paramedics all attending (and probably some Police horses too)
- Wednesday will also see a demonstration of a chip-pan fire – guaranteed to be a hot affair
- Various bike events (see below for details)
Security Staff will be on hand throughout the week in the Palmer Building and they will be running a few competitions, such as “The Usual Suspects” and a geo cashing Treasure trail (with a prize for the winners). There will be a security survey with a prize draw for all who fill it out, along with awareness tests and general security advice.
Come along and get yourself safe and secure!
With Added Bike Bonanza!
Safe and secure cycling, including free bike maintenance checks with Dr Bike
As part of Security Week we have arranged a number of events to promote safer cycling around the University. Come and try out a variety of bikes, try your hand at our bike maintenance course taster sessions; get a free bike health check with Dr Bike; get some tips and practise in confident cycling; or get your bike security labelled and logged with security.
Tuesday – Dr Bike available from 10:00 to 16:00 outside Palmer. Free drop in service, but they may end up booking slots on the day if there are too many people waiting as this is usually extremely popular.
- 10:00 – 12:00 Dr Bike outside Palmer
- 11:30 – 13:00 – Try a Bike Session outside Palmer
- 13:00; 14:00; 15:00 Bike maintenance taster sessions outside Palmer or in HumSS depending on weather. To ensure your place and preferred timeslot please book by emailing email@example.com before the end of Monday 15 October, or direct with Dr Bike on Tuesday or Wednesday morning if spaces are available.
- 10:00 – 16:00 – Dr Bike – drop in clinic with a hints and tips to help look after bikes, either outside Palmer or outside RUSU lounge, car park 4
- 11:00; 11:45; 12;30; 14:00; 14:45 – Confident Cycling Training Sessions (30 mins per sessions). You don’t need your own bike as trial bikes will be available. To be held outside RUSU lounge, in car park 4. To ensure your place please book by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org stating your preferred timeslot before the end of Monday 15 October, or direct with Dr Bike on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday if spaces are available.
All week – cycle security marking and passport from security. Get your bike marked with our secure label to deter thieves and log its details with security to give it its very own passport! Available in Palmer foyer from Security.
Finally, look out for the launch of our scheme loaning out recycled abandoned bikes through RUSU! The few bikes that are available are likely to have already been taken, but you could register your interest with RUSU.