The University has appointed the award-winning firm, ISG Fit Out Ltd. as the contractor for the Library refurbishment.
Our Procurement and Estates & Facilities teams collaborated to select ISG Fit Out as the best contractor for this project, based on their competitive costing, quality assurance and technical suitability.
We will now be working with ISG Fit Out to share detailed outlines of the redevelopment, including early works taking place this summer.
This major redevelopment continues the popular refurbishments of the upper Library floors carried out in 2013–2014, and will deliver further benefits and improvements for you. On the Ground and First floors, study space will be increased, security will be improved, an improved service for borrowing and returning books will be put into place and the café space will be extended. Throughout the building, new lifts will be installed to provide better disabled access, additional toilets will be added and energy services (including heating and ventilation) will be optimised.
The Library will remain open and fully operational throughout the redevelopment.
Important information about the project, such as the provision of alternative study space and notice of disruptive works will be shared with you all at the earliest possible time. An indicative overview of the project is as follows:
Preparatory works: Summer 2016
- Building site prepared and protective hoardings erected inside and outside the building.
- Demolition and construction around the Ground Floor’s outer edges and the Basement; new lift core installation begins; south stair core demolition.
- Autumn 2016: Construction of new stair core.
- Early 2017 – Autumn 2017: Roof works and new plant and equipment installed. Refurbishment of the First floor – area closed completely, aiming to reopen autumn 2017 with new individual IT workspaces, IT group study spaces and group study rooms.
- Autumn 2017 – Summer 2018: Ground floor refurbishment, aiming to reopen Easter 2018 with extended café, extra study spaces, new entrance, staircase and lifts. Existing lifts and staircase closed for demolition to create new print and refreshment areas on each floor.
- Spring – Winter 2018: Fourth floor refurbishment; improved heating and insulation, additional toilets, print and refreshment hub.
- Winter 2018 – Summer 2019: Third floor refurbishment; improved heating and insulation, additional toilets, print and refreshment hub.
- Summer – Late Autumn 2019: First section of Second floor refurbishment – the rest remains open.
- Autumn 2019: Second section of Second floor refurbishment – first half reopens.
- Winter 2019: Second floor refurbishment completed; improved heating and insulation, additional toilets, print and refreshment hub. Basement works.
- Winter 2019: Refurbishment due to be completed.
Further details of the redevelopment can be found at www.reading.ac.uk/library/refurb. Please remember to check back regularly for new project updates.