The Library@URS offers around 600 study spaces during term time. While the space is convenient for studying, we do recognise that it can be difficult to find space during peak times (occupancy rates suggest this is typically between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm).
Following student feedback, the University will be able to offer additional study space beyond the Library@URS from Monday 15 January 2018:
- Study space at Eat at the Square: Eat at the Square will be open after lunch from 3.00 pm -6.00 pm every Monday to Friday during term time. It will provide approximately 280 spaces, with refreshments available to purchase from The Grumpy Mule.
- Extended Chancellor’s Building opening hours: Opening hours for the Chancellor’s Building have been extended to offer additional space from 6.00 pm – 9.00 pm every Monday to Friday during term time. (This is in addition to opening Chancellor’s at weekends if URS becomes full – see below).
- New study spaces to be created in Halls: In case you missed our announcement last November, more than 100 new study spaces will be available across our Halls of Residence. We are aiming for these to be ready by the end of February.
- AVAILABLE NOW – Study Space Map: We have also produced a Study Space Map highlighting spaces across our Whiteknights and London Road campuses. Download the map today at our Library refurbishment page.
These new services join our existing Library@URS arrangements and space-finding tools. To recap, these are:
- Library@URS arrangements
- Library@URS anti-desk-hogging service: Does that jacket really need its own space? Please speak to staff at the Reception or ground floor Information Desk if you see unattended spaces ‘booked’ with belongings.
- Chancellor’s Building as overflow space: The Chancellor’s Building can be opened as relief space if URS becomes full at weekends – please speak to staff at the URS ground floor Information Desk for more information.
- Extra URS space over weekends and vacations: Rooms 2s14, 2s21, 2s25, 2s26 and 2s27 will be available when the Large Lecture Theatre is not in use over weekends and vacations (due to fire regulations). In term time, the rooms are available from 6.00 pm Friday until 8.00 am Monday. The rooms will be immediately available during vacations and summer terms, ensuring the maximum study space capacity can be used at exam revision time.
- Digital space-finding tools can be easily accessed through the Library refurbishment page:
- The Free Room Finder and live list of available PCs are useful for finding study space beyond URS spaces there and then.
- The Study Space Map and PDF list of study space each provide an overview of all audited space across our London Road and Whiteknights campuses.
- Alternatively, rooms can be booked centrally via the University’s Central Room Booking
- Don’t forget that RUSU also offer study space and free printing to all campus card holders at The Studyand Study@TOB2.
Noisy works within the Library
As ever, the Library building remains open for borrowing books and learning materials while refurbishment work takes place.
Please note there may be noisy works over the next few weeks as the next phase of work includes the cutting of concrete slab on the ground and basement floors.
Where to find out more
Don’t forget that Library staff are on hand to answer your questions and help you out – please speak to staff at the Library@URS Reception or ground floor Information Desk if you need assistance or have any queries.
Please visit the Library refurbishment webpage for further information on the project, including the latest news, links to space-finding tools and FAQs.