- This event has passed.
Heritage in Times of Conflict: film and panel talk
18 April, 2018 at 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Internal Event – University of Reading staff and students only
We cordially invite you to the H&C Academic Forum for the Summer Term 2018 which will focus on the theme of Heritage in Times of Conflict.
As part of the event, we are holding a film viewing of ‘The Destruction of Memory’, followed by a panel discussion that will consider challenges around the preservation and protection of cultural heritage in today’s world. This important event will be of major interest for researchers whose work touches on heritage and conflict, and it will provide colleagues with an opportunity to ask questions and network more widely.
The ‘Destruction of Memory’ film is based on the book of the same name by Robert Bevans. The film includes interviews with the Director-General of UNESCO, the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, as well as many international experts, including archaeologists. The film’s website is here http://destructionofmemoryfilm.com/
The film covers the following topics:
- The devastating effects that ‘A war on culture’ has on today’s society and the challenges it causes in preserving and protecting history
- Destructive behaviour of Daesh (ISIS) and how their actions attempt to obliterate culture and memory
- Measures currently being pursued to protect, salvage and rebuild the history that has been lost as a result of cultural destruction.
The panel will be chaired by Professor Roger Matthews, Professor of Near Eastern Archaeology, University of Reading and President of RASHID International (Research, Assessment, Safeguarding the Heritage of Iraq in Danger) and will represent a variety of expertise from across the University and beyond. These include:
- Tim Slade – Writer, Director and Producer of the film ‘The Destruction of Memory’ for Vast Productions, USA
- Dr Lisa Purse – Head of Department and Associate Professor in Film, Theatre and Television, University of Reading
- Professor Rosa Freedman – Professor of Law Conflict and Global Development, University of Reading
- Dr Dina Rezk – Lecturer in Middle Eastern History (19th / 20th Century), University of Reading.
Please register with Chris Anderson in the Research Deans’ Office by e-mail on email@example.com. As catering will be booked for this event, please confirm whether you have any dietary requirements.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Professor Roger Matthews (Archaeology) and Professor Roberta Gilchrist (R Dean H&C)