Climbing Kilimanjaro: Taking the Trek for Meningitis

My name is Achilleas Kollaros, a current 2nd-year student, studying Biochemistry at the University of Reading. Next summer, I will be flying to Tanzania, to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. With an altitude of 5895m, it is the tallest mountain in Africa and, at the same time, the tallest free-standing mountain in the world. From my point of view, it is both a physical, as well as a mental challenge, which is sure to be an unforgettable experience.

My trip will be supported by the Meningitis Research Foundation, who are trying to raise awareness against 2 fatal diseases: Meningitis & Septicaemia. They can both kill you within 12 hours and are responsible for the death of at least 5 million people annually, they are especially bad for children under the age of 5.

Strange as it may seem, these two diseases can kill more people than Malaria, Measles, Tetanus and AIDS combined! The Meningitis Foundation are constantly working to reinforce access to vaccines and health systems, to diagnose, treat and support the victims of this horrible, infectious disease. Furthermore, the organisation has pioneered a global roadmap, bringing together global expertise to hopefully eliminate meningitis by 2030.

This is the main reason why I have joined the Kilimanjaro Trek. I want to try and save the lives of all of the people suffering from this disease, by contributing to the amazing Meningitis Foundation, to help them achieve their goals and ambitions.

Over the next months, and up to 10 weeks before the beginning of the trek, I will be organising different types of fundraising events, intending to reach an amount of £3,890. All I ask is your support to reach my goal, as it will be an enormous benefit to the Meningitis Research Foundation and to the lives of many across the world.

Each donation brings us closer to this goal and would mean the world to the victims of this disease. It is high time to make Meningitis a global health priority and that can be achieved only with your contribution. You can contribute to this purpose by visiting online the JustGiving website. Simply, enter my full name (Achilleas Kollaros) on the top search bar and this will direct you to my page, where you can make any donations.

Thanks for reading!

Achilleas