Apply to be a STaR Mentor – applications open now

Image of a young man helping a young lady, the man is wearing a STaR Mentor top. Quote on image.

Use your experience as a student to make a difference and become a STaR mentor – Open to Undergraduate, International Foundation Programme and Postgraduate International students.

We are looking for students from every subject, so if you are in the first or second year (or other non-final year), and would like to make a difference to those around you while improving your CV, keep reading to find out about the new STaR mentoring programme. 

As a STaR mentor, you would use your own experience, topped up with a bit of extra training, to give friendly informal tips to new students. You would aim to help them settle into your department or school, navigate the complexities of the university, and get involved in university life. You are not expected to be an expert or to take the place of a parent, a personal tutor or a professional counsellor, but simply to be the voice of someone who was in their position not so long ago. 

People become mentors for many different reasons, here are some examples: 

• You will make the world a better and easier place for someone 
  • You will learn a lot about people, what makes them tick and how others see the world around us 
  • You will learn a lot about yourself in the process 
  • It is a great addition to your CV and ican count towards the RED Award 

For a better insight into what exactly a STaR mentor will do check out the STaR webpages on Essentials and this short film:

Apply to be a UG or IFP STaR mentor

Apply to be a STaR PG International mentor

Mentoring is one of those simple things in life that can actually have a tremendously powerful effect. A few words of experience here and there can really make the world of difference. Sign up to be a STaR mentor and be part of something that will make that difference for hundreds of students in Autumn 2021. 

“I loved being part of this scheme because I was part of community and although I didn’t necessarily make any new friends, it’s always lovely being part of something good. It’s also nice to know I was able to help new students and guide them if needed. I know I needed them during my foundation year. Furthermore, the skills I learnt are a good addition to my CV and applicable to any future jobs. I found the support to be excellent because Kate always answered my emails, she was extremely helpful and gave a weekly update of events or activities going on at the University. That was definitely useful to send to my mentees. I highly recommend the STaR Mentor team to continue doing so. I also loved the fact that the team itself wanted to hear out thoughts and ways in which this scheme could be improved.” – STaR Mentor

Check the STaR mentors page on Essentials for more info on the programme, or if this doesn’t answer your question email starmentors@reading.ac.uk.