Reaching out – University Mental Health Day 2021

Image of Becki in her house smiling

Support sounds so official, and it can seem to be a VERY daunting experience. In this blog, I will be talking briefly and honestly about my experience of reaching out and getting support, as well as the networks that are available for you both inside and outside, of the University of Reading. I hope that this can help you.

We all have a pre-conception of support, what it looks like, how it works, the stigma around it, I certainly did – but it couldn’t be further from the truth. I hope to break some of these stereotypes and show you that support doesn’t have to be daunting.

When you first realise you may need to reach out it can be so confusing, it sure was for me. I had a lot of questions in my head, why? What does it mean? How will this affect me? Why does this happen to me?

A little bit of background…

A few years ago I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. After this diagnoses, I was told by friends and family that they were surprised I didn’t know – I seemed to be the only one who didn’t realise.

It wasn’t something that happened overnight, but I would often feel very high or low, small things could really affect my mood. It took an event, consisting of a number of big changes in my life, for someone to come forward to me and say, ‘I think you need to talk to someone’ – This is where my journey with support began, and I am so glad that it did.

Those words were one of the most honest things anyone has ever said to me, but they filled me with dread and confusion. I was scared – scared to admit & face it and I felt really alone. If only I could have pressed ‘fast-forward’ to see what good it has done.

My support started with speaking to someone, a friend, who then gave me the courage to speak to a doctor. In the doctor’s surgery, I was filled with anxiety (fight or flight), I wanted to run because I didn’t know what to say. I felt like my problems were so small in comparison to other peoples. But I stayed and I talked – I cried too (ALOT). When I left I felt a massive sense of relief, I had done it – and I had a whole list of support networks in my hand that could help me.

This list started a chain reaction – talking therapies, medication, supporting others, this blog….and so on.

These little steps helped me get my head around it all, to start to learn and grow, they also allowed me to speak to others, to share my story. Through doing this I found out I wasn’t alone, so many other people that I knew had reached out for help, took medication, had CBT etc – It was actually a revelation.

My depression and anxiety is still something I am learning about every day, I still seek support for myself. Your story might be very different from this, and you may not be ready to speak out, just know that when you are ready there are people to help. No matter how small it may seem, your mental health means something to you and is very important.

We are lucky to have days like #UniMentalHealthDay to openly talk and share our stories.

Please feel free to comment and share your experiences on this blog, if you would like to.

Support networks inside of the University:

The Student Welfare Team– 0118 378 4777 / studentwelfare@reading.ac.uk The Student Welfare team is here to help you with any personal difficulties you may experience during your time at the University.

The team is made up of professional welfare staff who are able to advise you on a wide range of personal and welfare issues that may impact your studies and day-to-day life, including:

The Counselling & Wellbeing Team – 0118 378 4216 / Counselling@reading.ac.uk  Our multi-disciplinary team of counsellors and mental health advisors offers specialist support to all students.

#NeverOK – Bullying, harassment and discrimination is #NeverOk. Here’s how to report it.

RUSU Welfare Directory – The RUSU Welfare Directory provides contact details for a variety of organisations and support within, and external to, the University of Reading.

RUSU Advice Service – Whether you are an undergraduate or postgraduate, from UK or overseas, straight out of college or returning to study, we can provide advice services tailored to meet your specific needs and help guide you through any problems.

NHS self-help guides

Essentials – Supporting You

Outside of the University:

Thank you for reading today’s blog, we hope you have an incredible day!