One year on – Pok Lim Lai

We have all been through a difficult and challenging year, I cannot believe the time has gone by so quickly.

Since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, one of the major shifts was the transition from in-person to online, with lectures being pre-recorded as screencasts on Blackboard (to view in our own time), online interactive seminar sessions, online events and societies. Everything that usually happened in person, whether that was in lecture halls or events going on around campus moved online which meant that we are facing our laptop for hours and hours every day. We lost the opportunity to maintain our social life and to meet one another on campus, which was a low point for me and believe the same for many people.

But on the other side, the highlight is that after a period of time adapting to the online technology through the use of online platforms (Zoom, Google Meet, Blackboard Collaborate, Jitsi Meet, Discord, social media and so on), I started to feel a reconnection with one-another – friends, families and lecturers through online platforms. Even though it’s depressing that we can’t meet in person, the fact that we can all keep in touch with one another online is just amazing. I am really glad and thankful for advances in technology and God is leading to make all of this possible. This is definitely a major highlight of this difficult year with lots of support from family, friends and the University of Reading.

One of the things that I’ve done throughout the year that I found useful, (and I would highly recommend and encourage everyone to do) is to leave your laptop and your work and go outside for a walk (of course following the social distancing rules and the measures in place). To breathe in the fresh air and spend time outside looking at nature can help to motivate you and keep you going for the rest of the day/week. It’s very nice to relax your brain and to feel refreshed before you get back to work.Image of the lake at WhiteknightsImage of a tree in a field, the day looks overcast

In conclusion, this has been a challenging year but it has been a year with lots of support from families, friends and lecturers online and in person.

Thank you for reading the blog, hope this has been a useful reflection.

Best wishes,

Pok Lim Lai – Student Voice Ambassador

(Note: Both photos in this Word Document is taken by myself, Pok Lim Lai).