With government rules in England easing, we expect you to join us on campus from the start of the autumn term. After the restrictions of the past months, being on campus will allow you to engage with your learning in person and to be part of our vibrant, active community.
However, we understand COVID-19 is still causing disruption and there may be situations that prevent students from being able to come to campus at the start of the academic year. Last week we provided information about the specific circumstances in which you may be able to request to study ‘at a distance’ temporarily, and the implications this may have on visas.
We also understand the significant disruption that the coronavirus pandemic has caused, particularly to international travel.
To help our international students with some of the additional costs that they may face in traveling to Reading to study, we have put in place the University of Reading Quarantine Support Package 2021/22.
This support is offered to full-time students resident outside the UK and Republic of Ireland who are travelling to Reading for the 2021/22 academic year, whether as new or returning students. It is based on the UK Government’s current travel guidance and, specifically, the requirements in relation to quarantine and mandatory COVID-19 testing.
The package consists of two separate sources of financial assistance for eligible students:
QUARANTINE HOTEL COSTS
- If you are travelling from, or via, a country or territory on the UK Government’s red list, you are currently required to undertake 10 full days of ‘managed quarantine’ in hotel accommodation on immediate arrival in the UK.
- The cost of managed quarantine is £1,750. This includes COVID-19 tests.
- The University of Reading will reimburse the £1,750 cost for eligible students, applying the refund as a credit against your tuition fees for the academic year 2021/22.
- We are unable to pay towards the cost of hotel quarantine for spouses, parents/guardians or dependents.
TRAVEL COVID-19 TESTS
- If you are travelling from, or via, a country or territory on the UK Government’s green or amber list, you are currently required to go through a process of COVID-19 testing: one test for green list arrivals and 2 for amber list arrivals (with a voluntary third test, if you participate in the Test to Release scheme).
- These tests are arranged through private providers and the cost varies. The University of Reading will contribute to the cost of up to three COVID-19 tests undertaken upon arrival in the UK up to a limit of £70 per test (£210 in total), applying the refund as a credit against your tuition fees for the academic year 2021/22.
- We are unable to pay towards the cost of any mandatory COVID-19 tests taken in your home country before departure to the UK.
We will publish full terms and conditions shortly on Essentials, including details of the claims process. Please ensure you keep copies of receipts – these will be required to make a claim.
We have been working hard to support students through this difficult period. We hope that this Quarantine Support Package, combined with our plans for your teaching and learning will offer you reassurance and support. For all the latest information, visit the Essentials webpages.
We look forward to welcoming you back on campus. If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com.