Meet Student Services – The Counselling & Wellbeing Team

Jasmeen Kaur Malhotra, The Counselling and Wellbeing Team, smiling

In this series ‘Meet Student Services‘ we will be talking to teams throughout Student Services, putting a face to the team name, getting to know them and the services on offer to all students at The University of Reading.

This time let’s meet The Counselling & Wellbeing Team

Name:

Jasmeen Kaur Malhotra – The Counselling & Wellbeing Team

A little more about you:

I always knew I wanted to work clinically with the student population and during my doctorate, I reached out to the UOR C&W service for a placement opportunity. We were the first trainee bunch! The programme was a success and now we offer counselling placements yearly.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time here and post-doctorate, was offered to stay permanently (couldn’t get enough of me!) and here I am 😊

Fun fact about me? It’s confidential.

Tell us about the services your team provides:

We have a multidisciplinary team of qualified Counsellors, Social Workers and Mental Health Nurses. We also have Counselling Volunteers. This variety means we can offer a robust service that can respond to student needs more appropriately. The mental health team specialise in a range of conditions and can advise and support students into the right pathways to the NHS or other local support. They also provide direct one-to-one support, practical skills and guidance to help manage day-to-day life at university.

A tip(s) for students at UoR:

Research suggests at least twenty minutes outdoors results in good health and wellbeing. But let’s not end there, the benefits appear to peak between three to five hours of time spent outdoors. So can you spend more time outdoors today? Perhaps schedule it in tomorrow? Or even set it as goal for the next few weeks?

Get in contact/find out more:

For general information please email counselling@reading.ac.uk or phone 0118 378 4216 (Mon-Fri between 9:00 – 16:00) except during closure days and Bank Holidays.

In an emergency please visit urgent help and support contacts.