Three female students with flyers

Student Hannah shares her thoughts on how to make the most of your first 5 weeks…

1. Go to the library…    

I figured I should begin with something academic as you have chosen to come to University! No, but seriously, even if you just walk into the library and have a wander, it’s good to just get your bearings

1. Join a society/Go to a taster session…

A great way to make friends and do something you love to go alongside your studies!

1. Cook a proper meal (with your flatmates?)…

Trust me, I know its tempting yo just eat Pot Noodles and pizza, we’ve all been there (especially me), but there’s nothing better than a proper home-cooked meal, especially if you’ve had help from your flatmates.

1. Go into town… 

Self-explanatory really, Reading is your home for the next 3 / 4 years – go and explore! Every year, The Oracle holds ‘Student Sessions’, where retailers give students exclusive discounts – definitely worth checking out!

1. Register with a doctor

Seems like a pain, but fresher’s flu is real and so is illness, better to know there’s always somewhere you can go!

1. Get a TOTUM card

The new NUS card, its gets you discounts at loads of retailers and sometimes even does offers with RUSU like cheaper entry – what more could you want!?

1. Explore our campus(‘s)…  

I mean, it’s literally award-winning… The Harris Garden is one of it’s best kept, not so secret, secrets! Oh and we have amazing bars on all of our campus’ if you fancy a tipple…

1. Try some of the amazing places to eat in Reading

Reading has so so much to offer in terms of food; with countless cuisines that will get you excited for every meal! Why not compare places and see where to go to fit what you fancy?

Hope you enjoyed this and welcome to Reading!