Mother’s Day is the perfect day to show your Mum how much you appreciate her.
It’s a day dedicated to the celebration of Mums across the UK! Including Step Mums, single Mums, Dads who are both Dad and Mum, new Mums, working Mums, stay at home Mums, and every Mum in between.
Whoever the maternal figure is in your life, it’s important to celebrate them this Mother’s Day – Sunday 19th March 2023.
As Uni students, we can’t always make it home for Mother’s Day, sometimes we don’t have the budget, or feel swamped with deadlines. So, I have put together a list of ways to make your Mum feel special if you are away from home this Mother’s Day, no matter what your budget.
For those of us on a low budget this Mother’s Day, here are some ideas of how to celebrate your Mum… without breaking the bank!
Set up a facetime date Price: £0
- Set aside an evening this week to catch up with your Mum
- Dedicating quality time is the best gift you can give to a woman who has given so much of her time to you
- You could even make dinner together, or pop open a bottle of wine whilst you’re on the phone
Hand make her a card and send it to her in the post Price: £1 – £4
- If you’re feeling creative, grab some card and some pens to hand make your Mum a Mother’s Day card
- Head to your local post office or supermarket to buy a stamp and send it off to her in the post
- She will appreciate the time and effort put into the card, even if she can’t see you this Mother’s Day
Send her a thoughtful ecard/card Price: £2 – £5
- Moonpig, Funky Pigeon and Thortful are all great websites you can use to send your Mum a card this Mother’s Day
- Choose a card she’ll love from their huge selection, or upload a picture of the two of you from your camera roll
- Type out a thoughtful note inside and send it straight to her address
For those who want to spend a little more this Mother’s Day, here are some ways to show you Mum you appreciate her, even if you can’t see her!
Create her photo memory book Price: £7 – £20
- Personalised gifts are always so special
- Use FreePrints or MixBook to create your Mum a photo album from your phone
- Add pictures of you, your Mum, your siblings, your pets, whatever you like!
Set up a flower delivery Price: £10 – £25
- Ever heard of a Mum who doesn’t love flowers? No? Me neither!
- You can use Moonpig or Funky Pigeon to send flowers with her Mother’s Day card
- Or, use Bloom & Wild or Prestige Flowers for a gorgeous quality bunch!
Send Mum a care package Price: £10 – £30
- You can buy these pre-packaged on Etsy, or make one yourself
- Send your Mum a care package full of her favourite things
- Add some of her favourite snacks, her favourite magazine, some face masks for self care, and a bottle of fizz… can’t go wrong!
For those who feel like splurging this Mother’s Day, here are some ideas of how to spend money on your Mum in a way that she will appreciate…
Purchase a monthly subscription Price: £30 – £75 (every 3 months)
- Whether your Mum loves skincare and makeup, gardening, cooking, baking or arts and crafts, there are monthly subscription services for everything these days
- Purchase a monthly subscription that she will love and then she’ll be lucky enough to have a small gift each month until she next sees you
- You can usually pay for 3 months at a time, so treat her to 3 months and keep treating her as long as your budget allows
Get her an afternoon tea voucher Price: £20 – £100
- Purchase an afternoon tea voucher with a hotel or cafe
- If you leave the date open, your Mum could save it to use when the two of you can be together
- Or, book her in a date with a friend!
Pre pay for a spa treatment Price: £30 – £150
- Who doesn’t love to be pampered?
- Find a Spa local to your Mum and book her in for a treatment, whether that be a manicure, a facial, a massage, or a full spa weekend…
- A great way to spoil Mum even when you can’t make it home
No matter what your budget or where you are, I hope you feel inspired on how to treat your Mum this Mother’s Day!