Welcome at Reading is all about settling into student life, finding your way around, meeting fellow students and familiarising yourself with events, support and opportunities available to you in your first few weeks. We are so excited to welcome you and welcome you back to Reading.
We have put together this short blog of things you need to know to get started at The University of Reading:
Welcome information and the UoR Welcome app
To find out what is happening across campus visit the Welcome 2023 webpages and make sure you download the Welcome 2023 app.
Your student web pages – Essentials
Essentials are your student webpages whilst you are at the university, they contain all the important updates and advice for you.
Download the UoR Student app
The official digital app for University of Reading students is available to download! The app has been designed specifically for you and brings together essential information, helping you to stay organised, informed and connected during your study years.
The app delivers plenty of handy features right to your fingertips including:
- Your timetable,
- A personalised newsfeed from the Me@Reading student portal,
- Instant notifications of the most important news and updates,
- Quick access to a range of support information and location services,
- An easy way to find and check your student details,
- A convenient link to your university email inbox and other digital services,
It is now available to all current students to download for free from Android and IOS stores.
Your Student Union Freshers information
We cannot wait to welcome you to the University of Reading and your students’ union – RUSU! Keep an eye on our website, and the Essentials, to stay up to date with what’s happening on campus during Freshers and beyond.
You’ll also find plenty of tips on settling in and making yourself at home here in Reading. We hope these next few weeks, as well as being really fun, help you get really settled in. We’re your students’ union and we’re here to help you have the best time!
Whilst at The University of Reading you have access to several services to help you thrive at Reading, explore them all on Essentials:
- The Disability Advisory Service: firstname.lastname@example.org | 0118 378 4202 between Monday-Friday between 10:00 and 16:00
- The Student Welfare Team: email@example.com | 0118 378 4777 Monday-Friday between 10:00 and 16:00
- The Counselling and Wellbeing Team: firstname.lastname@example.org | 0118 378 4216 Monday-Friday between 09:00 – 16:00
- The Student Financial Support Team: email@example.com | 0118 378 5555 Monday to Friday between 09:30 – 17:00
- The International Advice Team: Immigration or Home Office Compliance enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org | general enquiries Int.Adv@reading.ac.uk | +44(0)118 378 8038
- The Careers and Placements Team: email@example.com | 0118 378 8359 Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00 except Wednesdays open 10:30 – 17:00
- Campus Jobs: firstname.lastname@example.org | 0118 378 4499
- Accommodation: email@example.com | 0118 200 5011 Monday-Friday between 08:30-17:00
The best place to find out more is via the student webpages Essentials, you can also visit in Carrington in person via the Student Services Reception, the reception desk is open for face-to-face enquiries Monday -Thursday 10:00-17:00, and Friday 10:00-16:30.
You will also have access to a Support Centres on each campus (There are five Support Centres across Whiteknights and London Road campuses) which will be able to help you with any queries you have throughout your time at the University, providing you with the support you need to be successful in your studies and beyond.
Ask us a Question If you have queries during your studies, we can signpost you to the right support via Ask us a Question. Teams in the Support Centres will either support you directly or signpost you to specialist advisory teams across the University, or to your school.
Do use your services whilst at university, they are here for you. We wish you the best during your studies!
Student DTS Guide
Digital Technology Services welcomes you to the University of Reading. During your time here you will need access to computers and digital services. This page provides a quick summary of our most popular services to get you started.
Official student Instagram UoR Student Life
Follow your official student Instagram, UoR Student Life, for all the latest student information, advice, and takeovers #UoRStudentLife.
Get a head start, make sure you’ve enrolled on to Study Smart, our online transition course designed specifically for students starting their studies with us. Join 1000s of other new undergraduates who have already discovered the course, which covers the core academic skills you need to develop to be successful at Reading.
Looking after your finances
- The Student Financial support Team offers free advice and support for all your financial needs.
- The Money Matters pages on Essentials is the place to go to find out about the financial support and advice available to you whilst at University.
- On our dedicated Cost of living webpages highlight practical suggestions for making your money go further, and where you can for support
- As a University of Reading Student you have free access to online support with Blackbullion. An online educational platform to help you to master your money from pre-enrolment to graduation and beyond. Topics include budgeting, savings and debt management alongside a Student Loan repayment calculator.
Societies to get involved in
The Freshers’ Fayres are the best way for you to discover all the amazing student groups you can join as part of your student’s union RUSU. Join in with the Fayres happening this year to get to know the societies on offer to you.
- Reading Students’ Union Freshers Fayres
- Reading Students’ Union Societies – make sure to check out the Societies Fayre on the 20 September!
We can’t wait to welcome you or Welcome you back!
UoR Student Life team
The latest Welcome updates
Make sure you read our blog for all the latest Welcome 2023 updates.