It seems as if a significant ecological disaster is developing in the Gulf of Mexico following the explosion and sinking of the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig last week and subsequent outflow of oil into the Gulf of Mexico. I’ll talk about the spill and ways in which the oil is dispersed in WCD. Meanwhile, here are some links of interest:
- Article on how oil slicks disperse
- Information from NOAA on tracking and forecasting the slick
- More detailed forecast information
- New York Times articles on potential ecological impacts and some interesting debates on the impact of the spill on US policy towards off-shore drilling
- National Park Service site for Gulf Islands National Seashore, threatened by the spill.