Ewan Page Prize awarded to Rachel Birt

The department would like to congratulate one of our students, Rachel Birt, on a well-deserved prize.

congrats

Rachel writes:

On Wednesday 18th March, I received an email out of the blue informing me that I had been selected to win the Ewan Page Prize, named after a previous Vice-Chancellor of the university. I was amazed as I couldn’t think what I had done to deserve the award, and reading through the email I discovered that it is an award given annually to three Part 1 students for receiving the highest entry A-level grades in their year. Having achieved A*AAA, I assumed that there must have been some students who achieved higher, as these were by no means the highest results at my sixth form, but I was extremely pleased nonetheless.

The Head of English Literature, Professor Peter Robinson, emailed me shortly after congratulating me, and arranged for a meeting so he could present me with my award – a book token worth £130! The idea is to enable me to purchase all of my Part 2 books (and possibly some Part 3 as well) without money being a concern, and I am very grateful for this generous prize. It was a privilege being awarded the Ewan Page Prize and I owe my grades to my excellent sixth form teachers, as I couldn’t have done it without them.

About Cindy

Associate Professor in the Department of English Literature at the University of Reading. Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
This entry was posted in Department of English Literature news and events and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.