Volunteering – Girlguiding in Reading

Volunteering – Girlguiding in Reading

For anyone thinking about volunteering and whether it’s right for them, I have decided to talk about my experience volunteering with Girlguiding in Reading.

I went to the volunteer fair in fresher’s week open to any possible experiences, but unsure as to what I would find. With all the different stands and opportunities, I was completely overwhelmed and had to hold myself back from signing up for too much. One that really took my eye was the Girlguiding stand because they had lots of options for different times and different days. This was really important to me because of my already hectic schedule.

I decided to go for it and I sent an e-mail saying that I wanted to volunteer. It was such an easy process and they were so understanding of other commitments, even going so far to say that I wasn’t expected to turn up every week if it wasn’t convenient. I was given a broad range of options for time and place so that I could pick one that worked for me.

I volunteer on a Friday evening (so no looming deadlines) between 6 and 8 with a Guides and a rangers’ group. Guides range in age from 10-14 and rangers from 14-18.

I was a bit worried about my first session but the volunteers were so accommodating and I fit in in no time. The leaders are all so nice and they go out of their way to make life easier for all the other volunteers. Where I volunteer is about a half an hour walk away from halls and every single week the leaders have been able to drive me home which is so thoughtful. The girls are all brilliant and they really appreciate the extra help. In my few weeks we have been bowling which was great fun and a good way to get to know the girls and the other volunteers better.

Volunteering is a great life experience to have, it looks good on your CV and it honestly it is good fun. If you are worried about commitment to Girlguiding or any volunteering position I would recommend asking if they are flexible. In all likelihood they are because some help is better than no help. I think that everyone should try volunteering at some point because it gives you a different perspective and you might actually enjoy it.

Written by Amelia Dinsdale