Forbury Gardens incident: Message from your Vice-Chancellor

Graphic image of a lion, rainbow colours. Text reads 'Together'

Following the tragic events in Forbury Gardens in Reading on Saturday night and my message on the Me@Reading student portal, I hope you were able to join me in observing a minute’s silence at 10am Monday.

We very sadly discovered that one of the victims, James Furlong, had a close connection with the University. As a teacher at one of our partner schools, James was a hugely respected and talented mentor to trainee history teachers and had connections with both the Institute of Education and School of History, as well as providing support through ISLI for international student teachers visiting Reading.

I have written to the co-heads of the Holt School where James worked to offer condolences on behalf of the whole University of Reading community. I have also written to the Heads of our own academic Schools most affected by this loss, and I’m sure you will join me offering deepest sympathies to all students and colleagues who knew and worked with James.

Our Student Welfare Team is providing support for those of our students who worked closely with James. If you or anyone you know would like someone to talk to, please contact the team who can provide support online and by telephone. RUSU’s Advice Service is also available for any students who need it.

On campus, I have asked for flags to be flown at half-mast for the rest of this week and I have written to offer support to both our Anglican and Muslim Chaplains. We have also been in contact with Jason Brock, Leader of the Reading Borough Council, Olivia Graham, the Bishop of Reading, and Matt Rodda, MP for Reading East, to offer whatever support we may be able to provide at this terrible time.

While Thames Valley Police have indicated that there is no wider risk, our Security team continues to be available to provide those who are on campus, including students who are still living in Halls, with reassurance. If you have any queries or concerns please contact Security.

We are determined to stand united against violence and hatred. As a leading institution in our community, I will continue to work with our regional partners to offer support and resources in the days to come.

Kind regards,

Robert

Professor Robert Van de Noort

Vice-Chancellor

Helpline

How to access the free Reading Community Helpline?

• Text TALK followed by your first name to 07786 202430 to request a phone call from one of our trained counsellors.
  • The support line will be available between 17:00 and 20:00, Monday – Friday.
  • A counsellor will call you back to offer support – our hope will be to respond later the same day, but depending on demand it may be the following day.
  • Calls will last up to 30 minutes.
  • This service is not counselling, but an opportunity to get support from qualified counsellors and talk about how you’re feeling following the attack in Reading on Saturday 20th June.