My top five tips for starting university life

Two students dancing on campus, enjoying themselves. You can see a few people behind them.

Pok Lim Lai gives his top five tips for starting life at the University of Reading.

When I first came to the University, I was absolutely amazed at how beautiful the campus was and the huge variety of services and facilities on offer.

At first, like many others, I was worried that it would be difficult to make friends, but guess what, I ended up making lots of international friends from numerous different backgrounds. I was grateful that the events on offer during Welcome and throughout the year, (talksdrop-in afternoon sessions, and social activities) allowed me to meet so many people.

You might have a few worries about starting University in 2021, so below are five of my top tips for your first few weekat uni: 

Tip 1  Note down all the important contact details you may need during your time at Uni. Especially the Home at Halls Hotline number for any services or issues you may have with your accommodation if you are staying in one of the university’s Halls of Residence. 

Tip 2 – Make sure that you join in as many events as you can. This way you can meet lots of people who have similar interests to you. Join in with activities that really interest you and things that you have always wanted to try. Check out the RUSU freshers events online.

Tip 3 – It is definitely worth a visit to the RUSU (Reading University Student Union) Building for the Bagelman, Asian grocery store, bubble tea, University merch store and more, all-in-one building.

Tip 4 – Visit the library to borrow textbooks related to your degree. Take some time to read ahead and prepare yourself for your first year of university study. 

Tip 5 – It’s a MUST to visit the WhiteKnights Lake and the Secret Garden on Campus (Harris Gardens). It’s really beautiful and lets you see just how special the campus is at Reading! 

Thank you for reading and hope you’ll find the 5 top tips useful in this blog.