RUBC ROW AROUND THE UK FOR CHARITY

Members of the Reading University Rowing Club (RUBC) have raised more than £1,000 in a virtual charity challenge.

The team have been taking it in turns to virtually ‘row’ around the UK – 4460km – to raise money for Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY).

Members have been clocking up the miles by cycling, running and, of course, rowing during lockdown to not only keep their fitness up, but to feel connected to one another while social distancing.

The club has split into teams of three, with each team competing against each other to cross the virtual finish line – the RUBC club house in Caversham.

The club has already smashed its target of £1,000, raising an incredible £1,180 for the cardiac charity so far.

Student Eduardo Marshall (pictured) said:

“CRY is particularly important to me as I have lost a good friend due to unforeseen complications – it was devastating. Young people, particularly athletes, need to be checked to avoid such tragedies.

“The challenge is allowing me to engage with the club during this difficult time and seeing everyone else training and what they’re up to is motivating me to do the same.”

Lara Brittain said:

“Training for the challenge has encouraged me to get outside most days, help to keep me busy and more positive. I now enjoy running and cycling a lot more.”

Director of Rowing at the University of Reading, Will Rand said:

“We are lucky enough to have a vibrant community of members who are already doing daily training in the hope that we might get some racing at the end of this season.

“CRY is a charity that aims to prevent young sudden cardiac deaths through awareness, screening and research, and supporting affected families.

“The charity, like many small charities, has been affected by the global pandemic in its fundraising. This has encouraged us to use our platform to help raise awareness of their vision and raise some money towards it.”

To find out more about the challenge and to donate, visit https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/ReadingUniversityBoatClub