Winter Films to watch during the holidays – Anita Marcu

the University of Reading food market and lit Christmas tree

Watching winter and Christmas movies has become a sacred tradition in my family. We all gather and sprawl on my couch, laughing and sipping on hot chocolates while scrolling through Netflix to find the next heartfelt, warm movie that will bring out the holiday spirit. So, these are some of the recommendations that, after years of research conducted in my living room, I can guarantee will make your winter better:

• The Holiday (2006)

There is nothing better than Jude Law and a holiday romance to start your winter movie marathon. I watch this movie every Christmas and it never fails to make me feel like winter is finally here. Iconic; funny; heart-warming; are just a few of the words that I can use to describe it

• Home Alone (1990)

To simply put it: the best family Christmas movie to have been produced. I don’t think I am exaggerating when I say that every family has watched it at least once and if you haven’t, you need to watch it right now. It is safe to say that this was the movie that inspired me and my brothers to make my mum’s life very complicated as children.

• Last Christmas (2019)

I am not going to lie, this movie is amazing, but it is also sad. I saw everyone in my family shed a tear when the ending came; even my cold-hearted brother. The romance. The plot twists. The Holiday spirit. They all make up the perfect excuse to cosy up in a fluffy blanket and appreciate your family and life.

• Love Actually (2003)

Hugh Grant is in it. Need I say more? This is the movie that will convert even the biggest hater of romcoms into a hopeless romantic. A movie that shows that love can actually be found in the most unexpected of places and situations. It is a great combination of comedy, love and the holidays.

• How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love the Grinch? He is the only Christmas hater that I will accept. This is a great family, light-hearted movie that will give you the laughs you need.

There are many more great winter movies (which I recommend watching), however, these are arguably the perfect mix of family, romance and comedy holiday movies

The holidays are a time meant for celebrating family (by blood or by choice) and love. So, next time you are home, get your people together, bake some cookies, have some hot chocolate and watch a heart-warming movie together! Happy Holidays!