Big Band plays a range of jazz, swing, blues and Latin styles. Led expertly by the highly sought-after professional percussionist Dae Lee, and consisting of approximately 20-25 players, the Big Band plays a range of gigs throughout the year for entertainment and dancing, for example at our Students Union and in town.
- Everyone is welcome to join. All rhythm section instruments and vocalists will be required to audition. Horns may be required to audition, depending on numbers that sign up.
- Musicians should be reasonably confident sight-reading and performing a part by themselves.
- Membership levels are determined by the number of instrument chairs available in a standard big band line-up.
As one of the UoR’s premier ensembles, members of Big Band should be prepared to commit to arriving punctually and attending every rehearsal unless there is a valid reason approved by the director in advance.
To sign up for Big Band, fill in our 2023-24 UoR Music Membership Form
A taster of the Big Band Repertoire:
- What is Hip, Arranged by Mike Tomaro
- Oye Como Va, Arranged by Michael Philip Mossman
- Go Go, Composed and Arranged by Bob Mintzer
- No Spring Chicken, Arranged by Kris Berg
- Pick Up The Pieces, Arranged by Mark Taylor
- Shining Star, Arranged by Mark Taylor