You don’t need to visit the Library to discover the range of resources we provide!
- Need to know how to find things in the Library?
- Unsure how to search for books and journals on Enterprise?
- Need to find books on your subject which aren’t on your reading lists?
LibLearn is an online course that you can do when you have time and at your own pace. It is available 24/7 via Blackboard, the University’s online learning system. Divided into three sections, LibLearn includes documents to read, and quizzes to test yourself on how much you’ve learnt and to provide more tips.
New to the University?
Then LibLearn One is for you. It will help you to:
- find your way around the Library
- search for books on your reading lists on Enterprise
- locate books in the Library
Been at the University for a while or doing a Masters or PhD?
LibLearn Two and LibLearn Three will help you to:
- find and access journals in the Library
- find material on a subject using Enterprise and Summon
- find academically reliable material on the web
- evaluate what you find
- understand the principles of copyright and referencing
- develop effective search strategies
- search databases for information, particularly journal articles
How do you access LibLearn?
- Go to the LibLearn course in Blackboard
- Click on the Enrol button on the left-hand-side of the screen
- Click on the submit button on the Self Enrolment screen and OK at the bottom of the next screen
You will now be taken to the course pages. Next time you log on to Blackboard the course will be in your list of Courses in My modules.
Or watch one of our videos!
If you were unable to come to one of our ‘Finding your way’ workshops for new students, or just want to find out more about the Library and what we do, then check out our series of introductory videos.
Some of the videos currently available are:
- Welcome to your University Library – an introduction to the Library and the services and facilities we offer
- Finding a book – guidance on searching the catalogue, fetching a book from the shelves and borrowing it
- Finding an article from a reference – how to find out if the Library has a specific journal article
Library staff…happy to help!
Although there is a wealth of information and help on our website, Library staff are here to help you, so please ask if you have any questions. You can always contact your subject liaison librarian for guidance on locating resources in your subject.
This is one of a series of tips to help save you time and effort finding or using information
This tip was written by Learning Support Co-ordinator Sally Smith.