Bird of Interest 13 – Nuthatch

The Nuthatch (Sitta europaea) is a rather dumpy and short-tailed woodland bird. The Nuthatch has the habit of descending tree trunks head-downwards in a jerky manner, a trait that, in the UK, is unique to the species. Its chisel like bill is used to prise insects from tree bark and hammer open acorns wedged into bark crevices. The sexes are rather similar.The adult has blue-grey upperparts, a black eye-stripe, white cheeks and orange buff underparts; on average males have a more intense reddish-buff flush to the rear of their flanks in comparison to females.  The birds utters an insistent loud zwiit, which is repeated if the bird is agitated.

The Nuthatch favours deciduous and mixed woodland, but it also occurs in gardens and parks where mature trees are present. More than 100,000 pairs probably breed in the UK as a whole, although the species is commonest in southern and central England and Wales. Nests are made in tree-holes, and mud is typically plastered around the entrance to reduce the size of the hole.

The Nuthatch is a vocal species and its distinctive call is probably the best indication that the species is present in a woodland.

Reference List:

• Sterry.P., (2004) Collins Complete Guide to British Birds. Harper Collins Publishing Ltd, London.

About Thomas Whitlock

I'm a third student at the University of Reading, currently studied for a degree in Zoology. I have a wide interest in biodiversity, most notably British wildlife. I have an especial interest in British mammals and birds. I hope to become a wildlife cameraman or photographer after I graduate, and I feel that blogging will be a key component of any future job in Zoology. This is my first blog, so please be kind!
This entry was posted in Birds. Bookmark the permalink.